Dakar 2014 Stage 10, Iquique - Antofagasta 689 km in total, 631 km special stage
The Speedbrain Rally Team experienced an ill-fated Wednesday at the Rally Dakar. The 10th stage from Iquique to Antofagasta ruined all hopes for the team´s top rider Jeremias Israel Esquerre with an unlucky crash. The Chilean so far had enjoyed a flawless race, lying in fourth place overall. Today Israel Esquerre was positioned as high as second place in the stage when he, according to eyewitnesses, collided with the car of some onlookers. The 32-year-old does not remember the incident, which is being further examined. Israel Esquerre, who suffered injuries to arm and shoulder, had to withdraw from the rally.
The stage was characterised by sand dunes and navigational challenges. The second part brought the dreaded fesh-fesh, making it a classic desert stage. "Chavo" Salvatierra felt home in these conditions. The Bolivian loves this type of terrain and it showed in his times during the respective sections. He finished the day once more inside the Top 15. Salvatierra now sits 14th overall. The experienced Dakar participants Paolo Ceci and Pedro Oliveira continued their solid performance. Both moved up the ranks. The Speedbrain 450 Rally meanwhile keeps working no problem without any technical worries.
Team Coordinator Ulrich Hanus: "Neither we as a team nor Jeremias deserve such bad luck! All have done an excellent job so far - then this miserable accident happens. We are still shocked. Certainly everyone is relieved that Jeremias didn´t injure himself too seriously. Here are our best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. Our team is doing its best to provide the riders with the best possible environment. There´s nothing we can do about things like this, they just occur. Guess that´s racing. Often it´s just a matter of good or bad luck."
Dakar 2014, Stage 10:
1. Joan Barreda (ESP, Honda) 04:42:00 hrs
2. Helder Rodrigues (PRT, Honda) +00:08:00
3. Cyril Despres (FRA, Yamaha) +00:09:40
4. Olivier Pain (FRA, Yamaha) +00:11:11
5. Marc Coma (ESP, KTM) +00:11:26
6. Jakub Przygonski (POL, KTM) +00:15:08
7. Stefan Svitko (SVK, KTM) +00:15:14
8. Javier Pizzolito (ARG, Honda) +00:16:58
9. Ivan Jakes (SVK, KTM) +00:18:17
10. Daniel Gouet (CHL, Honda) +00:19:21
14. Juan Carlos Salvatierra (BOL, Speedbrain) +00:25:45
16. Paolo Ceci (ITA, Speedbrain) +00:27:18
34. Pedro Oliveira (PRT, Speedbrain) +00:58:44
Provisional overall standings:
1. Marc Coma (ESP, KTM) 41:48:33 hrs
2. Joan Barreda (ESP, Honda) +00:44:10
3. Jordi Viladoms (ESP, KTM) +02:02:03
4. Olivier Pain (FRA, Yamaha) +02:16:12
5. Helder Rodrigues (PRT, Honda) +02:21:16
6. Cyril Despres (FRA, Yamaha) +02:28:27
7. Jakub Przygonski (POL, KTM) +02:29:15
8. Daniel Gouet (CHL, Honda) +03:05:54
9. Stefan Svitko (SVK, KTM) +03:33:07
10 .David Casteu (FRA, KTM) +03:41:54
14. Juan Carlos Salvatierra (BOL, Speedbrain) +05:21:52
19. Paolo Ceci (ITA, Speedbrain) +07:37:23
23. Pedro Oliveira (PRT, Speedbrain) +08:32:31
Photographer: RallyZone Â©2014 speedbrain GmbH, all rights reserved.